Any roof is a structure that consists of several layers. Each of them performs a specific task. A metal tile roof is no exception to this rule.
What to do if the roof leaks? Let’s consider repair of a roof from a metal tile of three kinds, and the reasons of damage from planned to capital. When the roof is not insulated (cold), a metal roof tile cake consists (except for the roofing material itself) of purlins, countertops, waterproofing foil and rafters.
Roof cake for metal roof tiles with insulation:
- metal tile;
- purlins – a bar fixed along the slope in 40 cm increments;
- control lath – mounted parallel to the rafters, fastens the lath and presses the waterproofing film;
- waterproofing – it can be used as a waterproofing foil or a membrane with one-sided permeability
- ventilation gap of 4-5 cm;
- insulation located between rafters and runs;
- longitudinal battens;
- vapour barrier film;
- interior finishing.
It is known that any roof covering in the process of operation is exposed to various destructive influences, as a result of which there are clearly visible defects on it.The need for repair of roofs based on metal shingles usually occurs.
When you find the following typical for this type of coating damage:
- visually recognisable displacements of the workpieces relative to the fixed position;
- defects in the structure of the roofing material;
- failure of the protective polymer layer of tiles;
- damage to the elements of the rafter system.
If any of the abovementioned violations are detected, prompt intervention will be required to stop the destruction processes and keep the rafter structure of the building intact.
Reasons for the defects and order of their detection
The causes of damage to metal tile-based roof coverings can be the following factors:
- violations of generally accepted operating rules;
- serious errors made during the installation process;
- natural wear and tear of individual workpieces;
- failure to comply with the preventive maintenance schedule.
Among the violations of the first category are the damages that occur during the maintenance of the roof in winter (when cleaning its surface from ice, in particular).
Leakage of roofing from metal tiles is the result of mistakes made during installation, as a result of loosening of fasteners (use of screws of poor quality) or mechanical damage (for example, cleaning of ice).
The other reasons mentioned above do not require any special explanation as they are logically justified. To determine the extent of the repair, it is necessary to inspect both the roof and the attic side. If the rafter system is damaged, the replacement of rotten or severely deformed elements with new wood-based materials should be considered.
Types of repair
Repair work is organized in the established schedule time to eliminate any defects, to ensure periodic renewal of the protective cover and extend the life of the structure; capital – complete replacement of roofing material and rafters in the event that more than 50% of the roof is damaged. The process consists of removing the old roofing material, repairing the rafters system and installing a new one.
The first variant of repair works is most often resorted to when loosening of the sheet metal fixing or its partial deformation and damage of the protective cover is detected.
Required tools and materials
You will need to stock up the following toolkit before you start repair work:
- a metal brush, which is necessary for cleaning places with a backward protective coating and traces of corrosion;
- a nail gun, a mounting knife and a metal hacksaw;
- electric scissors of any known type and chisel;
- a special soldering device that will restore the integrity of the workpiece with a through hole.
When repairing coverings of this class it is not allowed to use an angle machine, which can lead to deformation of the roofing material and deterioration of its performance.
Step-by-step repair plan
Metal tiles are made of steel sheets, the surface of which is protected by a polymeric coating. If the polymer layer is broken, the steel will rust. Regular inspections not only reveal damage to the roofing material, but also gaps between the sheets, which are eliminated with adhesive tape or special sealant.
- Holes not exceeding 5 mm in size should be cleaned with a steel brush to remove rust, dirt and paint residue.
- Punctures ranging in size from 8 to 10 centimeters must first be dug, then a patch made of a special material based on glass fabric covered with a thick layer of minium.
- If a roof made of metal tiles leaks due to rather large damage (more than 10 cm in diameter), the damaged part of the roof should be cut out or cut out with a chisel and a patch should be applied to the full width of the sheet.
- Most often there are damaged places where the roofing material adjoins chutes or valleys, where in winter the biggest volume of snow accumulates.
Repair of the roofing will cost much cheaper than the removal of all the structural elements of the attic, which will probably come into disrepair if the roof will flow with an enviable consistency. Complete dismantling of the rafters and roofing system is equal to the cost of 30% of erecting a new house. That’s a good reason to think about it. Especially carefully the roof should be checked before winter and spring.
First of all, you should pay attention to cracks, displacements, rust and ruptures. If there is even the slightest suspicion of leaks in the roof, it should be examined. Otherwise, the first heavy rainfall will lead to rain from the ceiling.